To mark National Brow Day on October 2nd, we have pulled together 10 brow-raising facts about yep, you guessed it - brows! So why are brows so important to us? Many of us spend a lot of time and money maintaining our eyebrows, from waxing to plucking to threading to filling them in. There is even a national day dedicated to celebrating them! But why are they really there? Here are some little fun facts about your favourite face accessory.
1. The real function of eyebrows (apart from looking glam!) is to help us see. The arches keep moisture out of our eyes so we can see clearly.
2. The average person has 250 hairs per eyebrow. Never plucked eyebrows can have as many as 1100 total hairs (wow!)
3. In 1983, Tweezerman were the first to introduce coloured tweezers to the market.
4. Eyebrows are more active and grow faster in the summer. They will grow faster in the warmer weather and slow down in the winter months - maybe it's time to take a vacation!
5. Eyebrows help us express our emotions. Many mammals use eyebrows to express their emotions but humans have the advantage of having eyebrow hair against bare skin, making it easier for our fellow humans to see and interpret our eyebrow expressions. There is even an emoji for the raised eyebrow expression - that shows just how important eyebrows are when we try to express ourselves!
6. Browmousse is a recent thing. Back in the day, we had to make do with clear mascara! Check out our Tweezerman Browmousse, it’s our fave!
7. Eyebrows have a lifespan. The average lifespan of an eyebrow is four months, this is the time it takes for each hair to fall out and new growth to fill in. So try not to overpluck!
8. In 1982, the Classic Slant Tweezer launched and revolutionised the market as the first professional-quality eyebrow tweezer.
9. Tweezerman has been offering lifetime sharpening for its tweezers and nippers since 1985. We sharpen over 5,000 tweezers every single month – some tweezers we receive are over 20 years old! Need your beauty tools sharpening?
10. Eyebrow trends change. From natural brows, to thin brows, to bold brows, whatever your style, we have all the brow tools and more at Tweezerman.
Happy National Brow Day!